For years I drank smoothies that I made with vegan protein powder, but I never really liked the taste of any of them. They were always chalky, powdery, or just plain weird, not to mention really expensive.
I decided to try to make a whole foods smoothie that would give me the same amount of (vegan) protein, lots of healthy plant-based fats, and tons of vitamins, minerals, and fiber to power up my day.
Clean Protein Morning Smoothie Recipe
In your high-powered blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec, add:
- 1 banana (potassium, vitamin C, iron, plus 3 grams fiber + 1 gram protein)
- 1 cup of spinach or kale (potassium, phosphorus, folate, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, plus 1 gram fiber)
- 1/2 cup strawberries (potassium, vitamin C, calcium, iron, plus 2 grams fiber + 1 gram protein)
- 1/2 cup blueberries (potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, plus 2 grams fiber)
- 3 tablespoons hemp seeds (iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, plus 10 grams protein + 14 grams fat + 1 gram fiber)
- 1/4 cup raw almonds (calcium, iron, plus 6 grams protein + 14 grams fat + 3 grams fiber)
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla coconut milk or almond milk
Blend on high for about a minute, add a sprinkling of chia seeds or fruit if you’d like, and enjoy your clean energy experience.
(Tip: If you’re using frozen fruit, that’s totally fine…you may want to warm it up a bit so it doesn’t jam up your blender. ;) I usually put any frozen fruit I’m using in a bowl about 30 minutes before I’m going to make the smoothie.)