This weekend, I did a little experiment. I deleted the Instagram app from my phone (I deleted FB long ago). Over the past few weeks, I found myself mindlessly opening IG while doing the following:
– Taking James out in the yard, any time of day or night
– Standing in the kitchen
– Sitting in the car waiting for the kids at school
– Waiting in line at the grocery store
– Going to the bathroom (c’mon, you know you do it too)
– Talking on the phone with anyone, whether on my home or cell
– Literally any moment I had idle time
I felt like this constant, unconscious scrolling was training my brain to be judgmental.
Look, judge, like. Look, judge, don’t like. Look, judge, mutter to myself. Look, judge, comment. Look, judge, unfollow. Look, judge, compare myself. Look, judge, feel badly about myself. Look, judge, feel better about myself. Look, judge, get depressed. Look, judge, become overwhelmed. Look, judge, feel sad.
It’s only been about 36 hours, but I’ll tell you what. It feels GOOD. It feels FREE. It feels SPACIOUS. It feels AMAZING to look out and UP, instead of down. My brain loves not having to JUDGE silly things.
It feels like a gift to myself, to my SPIRIT. One that I highly recommend you give yourself. Even if only for a weekend.